Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Socca!!

I do believe I found my newest food obsession!  Socca! 

(6 of 12)

There are tons of variations and recipes out there, but the one I've tried was delicious!!  It is a garbanzo bean flour based bread/pancake/pizza crust type thing.  It is SO super easy I adapted the following recipe from: edibleperspective.com

Herbed Socca
1 1/4c chickpea flour
1c water
1T olive oil
1T unsweetened apple sauce
1/4-1/2t salt
1/2t garlic powder
1.5t dried oregano
1t dried parsley
1/2t dried basil
1t dried rosemary (I skipped this because I didn't have any)
black pepper

1.  Preheat your oven to 375
2.  Line the bottom of an 8-9” round pan with parchment + grease the bottom and sides. If you don’t have parchment, that’s fine, just grease the entire pan.  ( I just used parchment paper and it came out pretty perfectly)

In a bowl mix all of the ingredients together.
Pour into the pan and bake for 40min, until cracked on the top with browned edges.
Let cool for a few minutes, then slide a knife along the edge.
Put a plate upside down on top of the pan and flip the socca out. It should come out easily. If you used parchment you might be able to just pull it out.
Top with pizza ingredients and bake on a pan for another 5-8min, until all ingredients are hot/melted.

I added some homemade pizza sauce, (just some no salt added canned tomatoes, garlic powder, basil, oregano, pepper,and a touch of salt.  I cooked it down slightly and then threw it in a blender for a minute to smooth out the consistency) spinach and sliced yellow squash, with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, and a side of extra sauce for dipping ( I LOVE SAUCE :)  It was REALLY, REALLY good! Even Bryan liked it, although I've come to the conclusion that even if it wasn't good he'd still lick the plate and tell me it was great :)  He's good like that :)

I think I just may do some more experimenting with veggies and make it again tonight.  I doubled the recipe and made 2 individual pizza sizes.  Each individual one has around 500 calories and 25 grams of protein! Whohoo!, I love good food that is good for me.  I think I might make them a little thinner next time and see what happens, although they were pretty good the way they were, crispy on the edges and soft, bread-like on the inside.

Well that's all for now!  Have a good day :)

2 comments:

  1. Try adding carrots to the sauce. It's delish!!!! I'm going to have to try this recipe---sounds really good. Have you tried any other type of flour?

    I'm thinking of getting a bread machine.

    Oh, and good thing you were out of rosemary. It IS the root of all evil, ya know.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havn't tried any other flours, but I wanted to do the highest protein and this seems to have worked great. hahaha yes, I should have added a shout out to ya on that one :)

    ReplyDelete